IGHS Scholarships for High School Students - 2020
The Indiana German Heritage Society (IGHS) provides scholarships for Indiana high school students participating in an approved educational program in Germany or other German-speaking countries. Applications are accepted from students participating in programs such as Youth for Understanding (YFU), I.U. Honors Program in Graz, or the German American Partnership Program (GAPP).
a) $ 1,000 for a program lasting 6 weeks or longer, i.e. I.U. Honors, YFU (up to two scholarships)
b) $ 500 for a short-term program, i.e. GAPP program (up to four scholarships)
Eligibility Criteria and Application Materials
Students must be participating in an official program. Applicants must submit the following:
• Contact information: mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address
• Program description: name, length, location, budget, etc.
• Statement of purpose (one page) • Biography (one page)
• High school transcript (if possible, as part of the PDF – see below)
• Letter of recommendation from German teacher (under separate cover)
One additional supporting document may be submitted, i.e. secondary support letter.
• Overall academic preparation
• Seriousness of purpose
• Achievements in German courses
• Involvement in extracurricular activities, especially German Club
• If applicable: plans for continued language studies following the program
Please note: Students must submit proof of acceptance into the Program before the award is distributed.
Outcome: Sponsored students agree to make a presentation to IGHS at a “Stammtisch” or similar event in Indianapolis, if possible, or write an article for the IGHS Newsletter.
Deadline: February 15, 2020
Please submit your application as one single PDF file (except for letter of recommendation which should be e-mailed under separate cover) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “IGHS Scholarship Application” in the subject line and address your application to:
Jim Kienle, President, IGHS, 401 E. Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
For additional information contact: Dr. Claudia Grossmann
(317) 274-3943, email@example.com
College and High School Scholarship Updates