IGHS Scholarships for High School Students - 2020
The Indiana German Heritage Society (IGHS) provides scholarships for Indiana high school students participating in an approved educational program in Germany or other German-speaking countries. Applications are accepted from students participating in programs such as Youth for Understanding (YFU), I.U. Honors Program in Graz, or the German American Partnership Program (GAPP).
a) $ 1,000 for a program lasting 6 weeks or longer, i.e. I.U. Honors, YFU (up to two scholarships)
b) $ 500 for a short-term program, i.e. GAPP program (up to four scholarships)
Eligibility Criteria and Application Materials
Students must be participating in an official program. Applicants must submit the following:
• Contact information: mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address
• Program description: name, length, location, budget, etc.
• Statement of purpose (one page) • Biography (one page)
• High school transcript (if possible, as part of the PDF – see below)
• Letter of recommendation from German teacher (under separate cover)
One additional supporting document may be submitted, i.e. secondary support letter.
• Overall academic preparation
• Seriousness of purpose
• Achievements in German courses
• Involvement in extracurricular activities, especially German Club
• If applicable: plans for continued language studies following the program
Please note: Students must submit proof of acceptance into the Program before the award is distributed.
Outcome: Sponsored students agree to make a presentation to IGHS at a “Stammtisch” or similar event in Indianapolis, if possible, or write an article for the IGHS Newsletter.
Deadline: February 10, 2020
Please submit your application as one single PDF file (except for letter of recommendation which should be e-mailed under separate cover) to: email@example.com. Please put “IGHS Scholarship Application” in the subject line and address your application to:
Jim Kienle, President, IGHS, 401 E. Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
For additional information contact: Dr. Claudia Grossmann
(317) 274-3943, firstname.lastname@example.org
DANIEL NUETZEL MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
The IGHS, Athenaeum Foundation, and the Max-Kade German American Center financially support this scholarship which is annually awarded through the Indiana University School of Liberal Arts at IUPUI.
This scholarship, established in memory of Daniel Nuetzel, Associate Professor of German and the former Director of the Max-Kade German-American Center at IUPUI, honors his contributions to the German Program and the German-American community. The scholarship provides support for students who complete a part-time internship with a German-American organization.
2014: Jasmine Eagan
2015: Sarah Evans
2016: Courtney Martin
2017: Mariam Aziz
2018: Cassandra Anderson
2019: Will Green
2020: Eli Hoopengarner